Sunday, October 16, 2011

Compare and Contrast "T.I.M vs. Antony"

     Within the funeral speech given by the narrator in Invisible Man, it was very much like the speech given by Antony at Caesars funeral arrangement. Both speeches provoked each crowd into becoming some-what-of-a frenzy. The crowd ate it up. They both also talked highly of the person who died, yet talked poorly of those who watched it happen, or even those who killed him.
      In contrast, even though both speeches aroused the crowds, T.I.M's speech was more of a tool based speech. It caught the audience attention yet needed a motive of some sort behind it. Without the Brotherhood's support, the crowd was left in a frenzy and ready for action, creating a perfect opportunity for Ras to interfere and give the crowd a mission sort-a-speak. While Antony's speech rally-ed the crowd up, yet gave them a motive or destination on where he was going with his speech. But in the end, both speeches were unique in there own way and served a purpose in both situations given.    

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure what you meant by tool. I think that what you're saying is that Tim knew what he was doing, or had an idea of the impact he would have. If that's the case, I can't say I agree. Tim didn't even want to speak, let alone incite a riot. He was saying the only thing he could, and the crowd eating it up was only a coincidence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I don't believe that TIM purposely tried to incite a riot, I do see what you're saying about the whole "brotherhood" stepping in before Ras could. I never thought of it like that, and you just gave me a whole new perspective. I liked it! C:

    ReplyDelete